Homepage - THETIS-MED
Introduction Thetis public – home page
The EU funded SAFEMED IV project, aims at providing technical assistance to the project’s beneficiary countries in the field of safety, security, pollution prevention and labour conditions on board ships. This is achieved through a series of technical activities and training at regional and bilateral level.
At the 19th Committee Meeting of the Mediterranean Memorandum of Understanding on Port State Control (Med MoU), the Committee decided positively to accept the proposal presented by EMSA to develop a new information system within the activities of the SAFEMED IV project for the Med MoU. Since then, EMSA has been involved to develop a tool to operate and function in support of the Med MoU Secretariat and the Port State Control officers of the Med MoU parties.
This new system, namely THETIS-Med, is a clone of the current system used by the EU Member States and the Paris MoU non-EU parties, commonly known as THETIS which is already hosted in and managed by EMSA. However, THETIS-Med is fully customised and built to respond to the requirements, rules and procedures of the Med MoU.
THETIS-MED will support the Med MoU member states (Algeria, Cyprus, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Malta, Morocco, Tunisia, Turkey) in the execution of their obligations with respect to Port state Control (PSC) inspections. in particular, THETIS-Med will:
- Assist Member States with an automatic targeting system for the selection of the right vessel for inspection through an updated profile of ships;
- Assist the Med MoU Committee and member states by providing statistics on inspection results and performance;
- Provide a system to handle similar information from 2 EU members of the Paris MoU (Cyprus and Malta).
- Provide the Port State Control Officers (PSCOs) a direct link from deficiencies to RuleCkeck (EMSA tool and up to date Repository of Maritime Legislation)
- Provide the PSCOs with embedded links with other MoUs, ROs, EQUASIS, Rule Check, etc.
- Handle thousands of inspections a year;
- Combines port notifications information with ship particulars and inspection details in near real time;
- Provides Member States on a daily basis with target factor of each ship in the system;
- Provides Member States an update on their performance on a daily basis;
- Helps in uploading, consulting and correcting inspection reports by all authorized users;
- Allows users to Report inspection’s results on-line and remotely through synchronization;
- Easy access, logic structure, user guidance by software.
Technical summary of the system :
- Needs to be available 24/7, with a high grade of reliability;
- Needs to be User-friendly for less proficient operators;
- Overall response time, menu structure and graphic interface are critical elements;
- Is built modularly as to facilitate relative simple change of parts following changes in legislation, technical modernization or changes in the user communities,
- Is adaptable to different organisations in all Member states, with various levels of automation;
- Is able to handle thousands of fully authorized users with different roles;
- Data needs to be stored and retrievable for at least 4 years to facilitate proper targeting and production of rolling statistics;
- Needs to have big data storage capacity with backup solution.
THETIS-Med design follows the major principles of a Service Oriented Architecture, providing services in three different tiers:
- Presentation tier, providing presentation services to users;
- Business tier, providing business services to the presentation tier and other system/components;
- Data tier, providing data services to the business tier and other components.
“ No part of the information contained on the MED MoU inspection Information System or website may be stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, without prior permission in writing from MED MoU. The following actions are strictly forbidden:
- The reproduction of data contained on the site in any way for commercial purposes:
- Massive or bulk-downloading of data contained on the site.
- Use of web-robot or similar technics to download data in an automated and/or regular manner.”